This is a list of my top picks for the month of July.
5. Scott Kelly and the Road Home – The Forgiven Ghost in Me: This is a very subtle acoustic album that has shades of the dark atmosphere of recent Neurosis material, but it’s also one that has a gentler vibe than even that of the recent Neurosis material he’s been involved with.
4. Deathspell Omega – Drought: This is a post-metal album that has an abrasive edge that puts it on a similar plane as recent material by the band. The very dissonant nature of the last album Paracletus has been replaced with a more aggressive nature.
3. Baroness – Yellow and Green: This is a new album that has a progressive, grunge and post genre blending aspect to it. The general vibe of this release is more relaxed than their previous material, but gives the band a more varied flair.
2. Testament – The Dark Roots of The Earth: The band Testament is back with an album that is more interesting than the last, but not as punishing or compelling as The Gathering. Still, this is a solid, very old school styled album from a band that still seems to be able to kick it out.
1. Gojira – L’Enfant Sauvage: This is a fiery inferno of an album that beats out its predecessors with a more focused and punishing vibe. It’s an album that starts with a flurry and displays a very dark and appealing atmosphere. This is definitely the release that has given me confidence in this band in the future.